Monday, January 9, 2012

Musicians, bands, heroes and villains!


Jan 9

So at the start of the new year I find myself in the very early stages of putting a band together; one key question is where? The UK or in Nashville, perhaps both?  Have discussed with Tim about playing this year, he’s a fine musician.  Determined to play Bonnaroo this year and Nashville and I’d love to play a gig in Cardiff.

I’ve been blessed really with the musicians I’ve played with over the years.  In the very early days in school the guitarist was Ian Pincombe, who had more skill by fifteen than many 40 year old guitarists I’ve seen and played with since.

My first real band I suppose had Nigel Brecon, Wayne Doidge and Paul Holowcynzci (if that’s the correct spelling I’ll be very surprised, sorry).  Had some great nights with that band, including bringing Cardiff airport to a standstill, but that’s another story!  Also Guy Frampton, I remember rehearsing and recording at his house many times, just up the road from Cardiff High.

Another guitarist was Phil, who if I remember correctly was a BT engineer, but he was an accomplished guitarist, used a Gibson twin neck.

When I moved to the States, my first band there included a charismatic drummer Craig who lived in his van on the beach in Santa Barbara.  We played some amazing venues, Santa Barbara County Bowl remains one of the highlights of my life, as does recording at Santa Barbara Sound studio.

I returned to the UK for a few years and was blessed to find a guitarist Tony Crooks to form a band with.  Without any doubt Tony is not only one of the finest guitarists I’ve played with but that I’ve ever heard.  After the band split Tony used the demos we recorded to join a band with Leo Lyons, from Ten Years After (who had been used to the skills of Alvin Lee!).  Tony combines natural skill and talent, with pure emotion.

The last band that I played with was in LA and included a Doobie Brother, and members of Chicago (the group) and Bonnie Raitt’s band.  We recorded at Danny (Three Dog Night) Hutton’s studio in Trancas in Malibu.

I’ve enjoyed watching some fine musicians from the wings over the last few years – Brian Willoughby is an outstanding guitarist, makes me want to sell my guitars and give up, as does Mike Estes from Lynyrd Skynyrd and now Skinny Molly.  They both make it seem so effortless, and they are both two of the nicest guys I’ve met in the industry, as is John Young - Asia, Scorpions, Bonnie Tyler and now The Strawbs.  John’s drive and enthusiasm is second to none.

I can hold my own on rhythm guitar, and ‘rhythm piano’ if there is such a thing.  So many people have taken my breath away though as I’ve stood there and watched them.  Rod Argent is such an inspirational musician, and songwriter, and coupled with Colin, well Colin is Colin Blunstone, who possesses probably the most haunting voice in the business.  I remember Colin warming up backstage every time, he treats his voice with the respect it deserves, never taking it for granted, and never putting in anything less than a 100% performance.   He is also such a nice, genuine person.

Slick Aquilar, Jefferson Airplane’s stunning guitarist brought tears to my eyes once in soundcheck with an instrumental version of Harrison’s While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  Drummer Carl Palmer’s dedication never fails to amaze me; every time I’ve seen him he is focused and I know he stills practises endlessly.  He’s one of the few musicians I’ve taken my kids to see rehearse just so they could see one of the world’s finest drummers (but who surprisingly I feel is underrated!).

I know I’ve missed out so many people who have moved me with their songs or their playing or helped make some very special memories – Stan Webb playing Hurt; Simon Kirke playing My Brother Jake on piano; George ‘Zoot’ Money singing Peter Green’s What You Gonna Do; joining Osibisa on stage for Sunshine Day; sharing a piano stool with the gorgeous Julianne Regan from All About Eve as I was working on one of my songs after a show; Geoffrey Richardson playing his own truly beautiful composition The Lighthouse; the list could go on and on ……….

My passion for music is greater today than ever, and it has always been big; by the time I was sixteen I had over 10,000 albums.  I am simply a fan.

So the search begins; Nashville boasts many fine musicians, a lot of Brits are there including fellow Cardiffian, Dennis Bryon of the Bee Gees/Amen Corner, who with Blue Weaver deserves much more credit for the Bee Gees’ success and sound than either of them get, especially from the Gibb brothers.

The facilities in Nashville are outstanding, so we’ll see.  Just anxious to get playing!





No comments:

Post a Comment