Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cold Case, Cardiff High school, songs, milestone memories


Have to admit to loving the Universal channel, lot of great shows, for me anyway.  The standard of US shows never fails to astound me, and like them or loath them only a fool would not be impressed by their standard - the writing, directing, editing, acting, the whole production, and they produce twenty-two, 45-minute episodes a year - yes that means we watch fifteen minutes of commercials every hour!

Last night's Cold Case ended with the use of Gordon Lightfoot's If You Could Read My Mind.  Played in full the lyrics perfectly complimented the storyline and end scenes.  The use of music in television, or in particular songs, is growing fast, catching on over here now.  Perhaps the best example is the finale of Season 3,  episode 22, of One Tree Hill, which uses Led Zeppelin's Babe I'm Gonna Leave You to breathtaking effect - here's a link to the clip http://youtu.be/DOtN5Iuhv3w

Songs or music act as milestone memories for me, for all of us really - you hear a certain song and it reminds you of an occasion, a happening in your life.  If You Could Read My Mind will always remind me of Cardiff High school, the Eisteddfod, rehearsing it -  it's a truly beautiful song - http://youtu.be/Of4i1aaBXm8

The song, or music, that perhaps provokes most emotion for me is Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade, my father's favourite song, played at his funeral - always brings tears to my eyes.

I am perhaps rather sad - I remember the place and time when I first heard many songs - 10 c.c's I'm Not In Love for example or B.O.B./Bruno Mars' Nothing On You (okay, that was only two years ago, but you get the point).  They act as milestones for me and bring back vivid memories associated with the song, milestones that are passed like a journey on a long road, but important all the same, Fate Boulevard, our destiny our destination.  I think its sad in most cases that people hold grudges, how people who were once lovers and/or best friends now no longer even acknowledge each other or the milestones that they passed together.  Its rather sad, and unnecessary,  just remember the moment, that special moment.  Here's a sentimental link - http://youtu.be/GNEcQS4tXgQ - the song needs no introduction from me, nor does the singer, probably the finest female singer who combines technique with emotion like no other.

On a lighter note, in the UK a house has a living room; does that mean that it also has a dying room?

No comments:

Post a Comment